Connected Car Devices
Find and compare Wifi and Bluetooth driving assistance systems. OBD 2 adapters to track and monitor driving and car diagnostics remotely from your Android or iOS device.
May 25, 2018
A new class of devices are being developed that capture your cars computer sensor data using your vehicles on-board diagnostic port (OBD II is available on cars built from 1996 on) and adds a layer of additional features on top.
These devices turn this information into a resource to help easily understand a check-engine light, adjust your insurance rate based on how/when you actually drive, and create added safety features through tracking and emergency response services.
The following Channel Guide will help you:
- Get device and their app reviews. Determine if the adapter/dongle can work with your car model and your Android or iOS phone.
- Filter based on monthly pricing, or by feature (theft tracking, api access, insurance or parental monitoring, etc).
- Trusted by mechanics and developed by Professional Engineers in North America
- Smog Ready Check
- Advanced test results (like misfire counts) for On-Board Diagnostic System Monitors.
OBD monitoring devices currently on the market
- The CarLock Cloud will inform your emergency contacts via SMS if you had an accident. - Add backup SMS or call notifications (SIM card included)
- Export your trips data to your computer with CSV or XLS export
- CarLock actively monitors the health of your vehicle and alerts you in advance if your car battery is running dangerously low or is experiencing high battery drain.
- Integrates with IFTTT
- Take pole position on the leaderboard, win rewards and share road trips
- Dash works with preferred OBD devices, starting as low as $10. Provides automated VIN decoding, multi-car support and push alerts.
- Includes Bluetooth speaker clips to your visor. It gives you one-button access to emergency help, plus safe, hands-free talking
- Sutomatic crash detection and roadside assistance
- Mechanics Hotline
- No monthly fees, no contract
- 3G wireless connection nationwide in US over AT&T and T-Mobile
- Zone notifications, trip history, driving score, roadside assistance optional, and an optional remote lock/unlock accessory
NYTimes: Picking Your Car’s Computerized Brain - 11/19/2014 Winner: Automatic
Additional OBD2 Dongle Options
- Cravenspeed: $45
- Kiwi 3 $99 - Bluetooth - no monthly
- OBDLink LX $49.95 Bluetooth
- OBDLink MX $79.95 Wifi
- CellAssist $59.95
- SplitSecnd (Pre-order)
- Delphi $99 - $199 (Hotspot)
- DanLaw -- Enterprise side
- AutoPi ($112-$295 Raspberry pi based, pre-order)
|DashCommand||4.5/5 (48 Reviews)||$9.99|
|Engine Link||3.5 (14 Reviews)||$5.99|
|iOBD2||2.5/5 (204 Reviews)||Free|
Android / Google Play
Consumer: Insurance Focused
Help cut your current insurance costs down, or pay for only how much you drive.
Metromile’s pay-per-mile insurance offering saves low-mileage drivers a ton of money. All pay-per-mile insurance customers receive the Metromile...
"As an IntelliDrive customer, you can save money if you are a low mileage driver. Getting started takes minutes and your first benefit starts as...
"This little device turns your safe driving into savings. It just makes sense—insurance should be based partly on how you actually drive, rather...
LIBERTY MUTUAL RIGHTTRACK
"Connect, drive and save with RightTrack from Liberty Mutual Insurance."
Insurance Side Software
- Amodo - "Our Driver Suite – Driver Copilot, enables all stakeholders in the automotive ecosystem to better understand how their products and services are being used, thus enabling better cross-sell and up-sell opportunities for businesses and optimized car ownership for drivers."
Enterprise fleet tracking products and services to provide access, track location and improve operational efficiency.
WATSON IOT AUTOMOTIVE
Deliver new service models to your customers by developing, manufacturing and maintaining connected cars
LOCALMOTION - BY ZIPCAR
"Share vehicles effortlessly, increase fleet utilization, and streamline operations with Local Motion’s keyless access and web-based motor pool...
CLOUD YOUR CAR
"Cloud Your Car provides the tracking hardware with built-in GSM connectivity, cloud data processing platform and a set of online tools for...
"Full featured fleet management with fleet maintenance software, fleet tracking and driver safety monitoring."
Low-cost fleet tracking, made simple. Zubie includes always-connected cellular service, so you can stay connected to your fleet from anywhere.
Software & Platforms
- Watson IoT Automotive: Deliver new service models to your customers by developing, manufacturing and maintaining connected cars
- Venium - "Veniam turns vehicles into WiFi hotspots. We build and operate city-scale vehicular networks that expand wireless coverage and collect terabytes of urban data.'"
- Carvoyant - "Provides easy access to connected car data via our API. The API IS our product. You build what you need to help your clients with our tools. Carvoyant takes months off the time to go to market for connected car development and continues to support the data needs of your application."
- Weather Cloud
A Boulder based company looking to improve road condition safety and traffic routing using a cloud service and data gathered from sensors installed on a vehicle's license plates.
- OpenXC Platform "OpenXC™ is a combination of open source hardware and software that lets you extend your vehicle with custom applications and pluggable modules."
- Open Car Project "A platform to connect your car to the internet. Your car will connect without any help of other devices such as smartphones. The data will be available online, where you get smart analytics. The device and data will be open and accessible, so an ecosystem for smart car applications will grow."
- CargoAI - "Cargo is seeking awesome automotive applications and the developers who create them to help realize the connected car."
- otonomo - Autonomous cars use otonomo to connect to digital infrastructures and exchange data in real time with other connected and autonomous cars.
- Ford Sync
- Open Automotive Alliance
"The OAA is a global alliance of technology and auto industry leaders committed to bringing the Android platform to cars starting in 2014."
"A non-profit industry alliance committed to driving the broad adoption of an In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) open-source development platform."
DIY & Open Source
- Freematics Vehicle Data Logger V4 -
ATmega328p main controller, 100% compatible with Arduino UNO. Self-popping microSD slot on SPI, BLE module (TI CC2540) with optional ESP8266 Wifi module, externl GPS receiver
- SparkFun: Getting Started with OBD-II
- Video: How to Put a Computer in Your Car with the Raspberry Pi - 10/23/2014
Have a car older than 1996 without an OBDii port?
You can convert an older vehicle with an OBD1 to work with new OBD2 devices using an adapter like this one sold on Amazon for $15
- Arvato - The Future of the Car: arvato Helps Make the ‘Connected Car’ a Reality
- Wall St Journal - The Internet-Connected Car
- Bosch - Connected cars: what’s in store
- BBC - 'Every new car' connected to web by 2014
- Forbes - 10 Obstacles For Connected Cars
- Wards Auto - Experts Examine Auto Telematics' Pitfalls, Potential
- Forbes - Silicon Valley vs. Detroit: The Battle For The Car Of The Future
- WSJ - Connected Cars Fueling Up to Take a Drive in Europe
- Economist - How’s my driving? Gizmos that track driving habits are changing the face of car insurance
- Jeff Kramer - The Quantified Car: Progressive Snapshot
- Dude, How Secure Is My Connected Car? - eSecurity Planet
- Slideshow - Connected Vehicles--Automotive: From Building Cars to Selling Personal Travel Time Well-Spent
- Report: New services enabled by the connected car SMART 2010/0065 (PDF)
- Organization: Vehicle Infrastructure Integration (VII) Initiative
- Organization: Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC)
- Research: Cooperative Vehicle-Infrastructure Systems (CVIS)
- Automative as a Microcosm of IoT (PDF form)
The average American automobile include around 60 sensors (most of which are accessible from its on-board OBD II port.)
- Road Condition Sensor
- Magnetic Sensor
- Vehicle Distance Sensor
- Forward Obstacle Sensor
- Blind Spot Monitoring Camera
- Drive Recorder
- Air Pressure Sensor
- Steering Angle Sensor
- Electronic Control Throttle
- Vehicle Speed, Acceleration Sensor
- Collision Detection Sensor
- GPS Sensor