Intellistreets is an LED streetlighting system from Michigan based lighting contractor Illuminating Concepts that bills itself as the "wireless digital infrastructure that controls, monitors & maintains the sensory world."
The brainchild of Ron Harwood, who had worked previously on Disney’s IllumiNations the lights look very similar to its traditional lighting counterpart but its feature list includes:
- App based lighting controls
- Wireless Mesh Network system
- Energy conservation: reduced power usage via smart sensors, real-time reporting and on-demand light levels.
- Homeland security notification: emergency alerts, lighted evacuation routes, amber alert warnings.
- Environment alerts: Seismic sensors, gas, radiation, etc., can trigger public safety alerts.
- Concealed audio: for music ambiance, or for emergency public address.
- Image sensors: Proximity and pedestrian counters.
- LED signage: Can be used for way finding, traffic direction, civic information and a source of revenue generation for the site owners or municipality.
The Intellistreets system is currently installed in a pilot program in Farmington Hills, Michigan (as of Nov 2011), and has plans to expand their presence in Chicago, Philadelphia, and in New Orleans’ French Quarter.
More information about the product can be found at: http://intellistreets.com/
Image Credits: Intellistreets