IoT Smart Farming
Filter and discover IoT Agriculture Resources. View smart farm case studies, sensor applications and potential resource and labor saving dashboards, tools and apps.
October 10, 2018
The following Channel Guide will help you:
- Better understand the opportunities of and resource savings og using wireless sensors and remotely monitoring devices on your farm.
- Filter and compare IoT Ag data platform vendors and alerting services.
"FarmX sensors measure soil, plant and environmental variables to accurately measure water stress. Our advanced predictive algorithms deliver...
"Our tools provide timely, unbiased information to help you improve yield and eliminate waste with minimal effort."
- Semios: "Connect frost, leaf-wetness, soil moisture and pest pressure sensors customized to your orchard."
Robotics / Material Handling
- Harvest AI - "Scalable and flexible systems for material handling and data management in a range of industrial environments"
- DroneSeed - "DroneSeed offers full lifecycle services for forestry management. From planting to harvesting, we help our customers maximize the value of their forestland. An efficient, cost-competitive fleet of drones reduces reliance on manual labor."
Moocall: Wireless Calving Alert Sensors
Ah, the miracle of childbirth. For cattle farmers and ranchers, every healthy calf represents a piece of their future livelihood — so it’s important to pay attention to pregnant cows as they near their due dates. But a farmer can’t always be with Bessie 24/7, which is why Moocall was invented.
Moocall’s noninvasive wireless sensor can detect when a cow is going into active labor. It straps to the tail, where it can monitor movement for the patterns of activity that mean a calf is on the way. Then Moocall uses the 3G mobile network to send a text alert to the farmer, who should have about an hour to prepare for the arrival of the latest addition to the herd.
The sensors are water-resistant and designed with a teardrop shape to prevent snagging on fences or other objects. With battery life of up to 30 days per charge, Moocall provides “set and forget” monitoring that works almost anywhere in the world, even where mobile coverage is poor.
Learn more in the video below.
"The quality of asparagus depends heavily on the temperature of the ground in which it’s grown. To control the temperature, farmers use a two-sided sheet of foil: the black side draws in sunlight to increase the heat of the asparagus bed, and the white side reflects light to cool the bed down. In order to make the right “black or white” decision, the farmer needs to measure the temperature of every field at least once each evening. That’s where we come in. Our IoT system frequently measures the temperatures of the bed at different levels and stores the data in the cloud. Then we provide this information plus additional analysis in a front-end interface, accessible anywhere, anytime."
TCS to help farmers detect crop diseases
Farmers in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab will be able to detect late blight disease in this season's potato crop through mobile phones, thanks to Tata Consultancy Services. In a pilot project being run by the IT major across a few villages in these states for the past two years, agricultural experts are able to gauge the crop's susceptibility to disease based on soil and weather (humidity, temperature and rainfall) parameters.
The agri-experts gather the information from a wireless sensor network spread across the farms and are able to determine the disease risk. "Now we will introduce a mobile application that will involve farmers in disease detection," says Dr Bhushan Jagyasi, a scientist at the TCS Innovation Lab in Mumbai. - Full Article
Measures rainfall, crop water demand, water stress, microclimate, canopy biomass & chlorophyll.
LIBELIUM AGRICULTURE WASPMOTE
"The Smart Agriculture models allow to monitor multiple environmental parameters involving a wide range of applications. It has been provided with...
"Our wireless sensors provide a revolutionary simple and low cost way to collect real-time weather or soil data from a field or greenhouse,...
"Our multi-award winning products are designed from the ground up to provide the most reliable, easy to use and functional platform for all your...
"Tule ET sensors are the only technology that can measure the Actual ET from your field. The Tule Actual ET sensor is a hardware device installed...
- Taiwan: Home to the Total Supply Chain for Agriculture 4.0
- Gigaom: The Internet of things, stalk by stalk - 11/2013
- VB: Surprise: Agriculture is doing more with IoT Innovation than most other industries - 12/2014
- The Guardian: The internet of food: why your steak might have come from a connected cow - 9/2015
- NYTimes: The Internet of Things and the Future of Farming - 9/3/2015
- Popsci: Let The Robots And Iphones Tend The CropsCheap, Networked Technology Is Transforming Agriculture Cheap, Networked Technology Is Transforming Agriculture - Taylor Dobbs - 9/22/2015
- Postscapes Interview: Smart Farming Dashboards: 11 Questions with Lance Donny the Founder and CEO of OnFarm
- FarmersJournal - Farmer writes: Smart farming and the internet-of-things - 1/2016
Research / Reports
- Beecham Research: Towards Smart Farming: Agriculture Embracing the IoT Vision - 2015 ($2600)
- Internet of Food and Farm 2020 - Harald Sundmaeker, C.N. Verdouw, Sjaak Wolfert, Pérez-Freire - 12/2015
- Virtualization of food supply chains with the internet of things - 5/2016
- How IoT is changing the agribusiness landscape - Sjaak Wolfert 6/2016