Compare locks based on price, integrations and features.
The August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Generation is one of the top selling locks on the market, and for good reasons. Connect with other products or control your lock through Z-Wave Plus, Siri, Homekit, Alexa, and Google Home with certain setups.
How does the lock connect?The August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Gen uses Apple Homekit, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi Via Bridge/Hub, and Z-Wave Plus to connect.
ECOSYSTEMSAlexa Support?: Available
Google Assistant Support?: Available
Siri & Homekit Support?: Available
Smart Watch Support: Available
Out of the box IntegrationsAugust Smart Keypad, August Connect Wifi Bridge, and August View Doorbell Cam Pro
Integrations available with an add-on deviceLeviton Decora Smart Switch or Plug, Nest Cam, Brilliant Switch, Logitech Harmony Hub, Wink Hub 2, SimpliSafe, Amazon Echo Plus, Xfinity Home platform, Samsung SmartThings Hub 3rd Generation, and Nest Thermostat
DOOR COMPATIBILITYWhat type of door lock mechanisms does the August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Gen support?
Features & Specs
Model Number AUG-SL-CON-S03
- Seamless integration with Alexa, Google, Siri, Homekit, and Z-Wave Plus.
- Easy to create and manage digital keys, making it ideal for vacation rentals.
- Simple installation with only a screwdriver, plus instructional videos if you get stuck.
- No changes to the exterior, keeping HOAs and landlords happy
- Sturdy, high-quality build with solid metal exterior.
Exterior Door View
- The auto-unlock feature can be unreliable (especially with Android), and opening directly from the app can take longer than a key.
- The app does not always show real-time information.
- If you run into problems, it can be difficult to get in touch with customer service.
- Larger than the base model, so it can cause issues when there is a tight fit (measure first!)
Apps / Voice Commands
Alexa Support?: Yes , the August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Gen supports Alexa with the following commands
- Check the door’s status: “Alexa, is my front door locked?”
- Lock your door: “Show me the last motion event at the front door”
- Unlock your door: “Show me the front door.” [followed by 2-way conversation]
- Set PIN code: [Configured in Alexa app]
- August View Doorbell Camera: [Alexa will notify]
- August View Doorbell Camera Activate Microphone: “Answer the front door.” [Echo Show and Dot]
Requirements: August Wifi Bridge or August Doorbell Cam and an Alexa enabled device (Echo Dot, Echo Shot, Echo Plus, Alexa enabled Sonos devices for example)
Google Assistant & Nest Support?: Yes, the August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Gen supports Google Assistant with the following commands
- Lock: “OK, Google, lock my front door.” (use the name assigned to your door in the August app)
- Check Status: “OK, Google, is my front door locked?”
- If you have DoorSense installed on your door to indicate whether your door is open or closed, you can also check that status by saying: “Ok, Google, is my front door closed?”
Requirements: You will need either August Wifi Bridge, August Doorbell Cam and a Google Assistant enabled device like Google Nest Hub.
Siri / Apple Homekit Support?: Yes, the August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Gen supports Apple's Homekit with Siri voice commands
- Unlock: “Hey Siri, Unlock my door”
- Lock: “Hey Siri, lock my door”
- Check Status: “Hey Siri, is my front door locked?”
Requirements: You will need either August Wifi Bridge, August Doorbell Cam or Apple TV (4th Gen and Up) to control your door remotely.
Information on Apple Watch can be found here.
Unboxing and Installation
Whats in the box.
What tools do I need to install this lock?
You will need Phillips Screwdriver to install August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Gen
What are the locks dimensions?
The August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Gen is 3.4 x 2.2 x 3.4 in size.
Any door size requirements?
Required clearance is 4.75” with wing latches fully extended.
The August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Generation is all about seamless integration with the rest of your smart home. If this is the only smart product you ever plan on buying, save the extra money and get the base model. Otherwise, only the pro lets you connect through Z-Wave Plus, Siri, and Homekit (both support Alexa and Google Home).
Like the base version, you can use the app to tailor how this lock functions for you. Enable and disable auto-lock or unlock features, view and control access remotely (as long as you have the Wi-Fi bridge), get low battery alerts, and know when the door is closed or locked.
How does the standard 3rd gen model stack up to the Pro model?
The Postscapes Team is here to help you keep your home and family safely connected. Whether you’re looking to pick a smart lock system, we’ve spent hundreds of hours researching locks to help you find the best product to fit your specific situation.
At Postscapes we combine our years of experience following the smart home market along with user reviews to take the guesswork out of living securely connected. Learn More