Compare locks based on price, integrations and features.
The Assure SL is a solid offering from Yale offering the largest number of connectivity options on the market including Homekit, Zigbee, Z-Wave and Wifi.
How does the lock connect?The Yale Assure Lock SL uses Apple Homekit, Wi-Fi Via Bridge/Hub, Z-Wave, Z-Wave Plus, and Zigbee to connect.
ECOSYSTEMSAlexa Support?: Available
Google Assistant Support?: Available
Siri & Homekit Support?: Available
Smart Watch Support: Available
Out of the box IntegrationsApple TV 4th Gen, Apple HomePod, VeraEdge, and VeraPlus
Integrations available with an add-on deviceAmazon Cloud Cam and Amazon Echo Plus
DOOR COMPATIBILITYWhat type of door lock mechanisms does the Yale Assure Lock SL support?
Features & Specs
Model Number YRD256
- With all of its radio offerings it can connect with almost any of your smart home hubs and security systems on the market today.
- Small and clean design with a decent number of finish options.
Exterior Door View
- Need to have a plan on what kind of system you want to build and integrate with in your home as the connectivity options are only offered one at a time.
- No backup physical key. If your lock battery dies, you can recharge from outside using a 9v battery backup.
- Reliant on August Connect Wifi bridge (Yale acquired August the company) so if you have tried August Wifi connection and didn’t like it you will be disappointed here as well.
- Doesn’t really have a strong stand-alone app and if you use the August Wifi bridge will be using their software.
- Retail price is on the expensive side of the market.
Apps / Voice Commands
Alexa Support?: Yes , the Yale Assure Lock SL supports Alexa with the following commands
Note: You will need an additional smart home hub like Wink or SmartThings to enable long distance Alexa integration.
- “Alexa, lock the front door.”
- Alexa, is the back door locked?”
Google Assistant & Nest Support?: Yes, the Yale Assure Lock SL supports Google Assistant with the following commands
Note: If you have a smart home hub like SmartThings installed and your lock connected to it you should be able to control it using Google Home/Assistant.
- “Is the front door locked?”
- “Lock the back door please”
Siri / Apple Homekit Support?: Yes, the Yale Assure Lock SL supports Apple's Homekit with Siri voice commands
See current lock status, lock and unlock. If you want to access it from anywhere you will need an Apple TV (4th generation or later)
If you have the Homekit enabled lock you should be able to voice control your lock using Siri (remotely only with Apple TV 4th Gen or later). If you have an Android watch you will need to have a smart home hub like SmartThings and use their watch app.
Unboxing and Installation
Whats in the box.
The Yale Assure SL lock features a clean touchscreen design.
You will get the most out of the unit if you already have an Apple TV (4th Gen and above) for the Homekit version or a smart home hub or security system like Wink, SmartThings, Alarm.com that you can integrate with and monitor and control the lock while you are away from your home or apartment.
The higher price might set you back especially if you don’t already have a smart hub or security system in place and need to add that to your order. (Note: The Wifi version offers a nice middle ground as the price is only a bit higher and will get you remote monitoring and control).
The Yale apps are not their strong suit and will be different depending on if you are on iOS or Android. You will be relying some on your 3rd party software support like for Wink or SmartThings if you really want to get the advanced features outside of setting and managing access codes.
Overall a solid if a little pricey offering from Yale with a range of connectivity options to fit your exact needs along with the normal range of smart lock features.
How does the standard 3rd gen model stack up to the Pro model?
The Postscapes Team is here to help you keep your home and family safely connected. Whether you’re looking to pick a smart lock system, we’ve spent hundreds of hours researching locks to help you find the best product to fit your specific situation.
At Postscapes we combine our years of experience following the smart home market along with user reviews to take the guesswork out of living securely connected. Learn More