The August Smart Lock 3rd Generation gives you complete control of access to your home, in a sleek package. Unlike competitors, it fits on your existing lock, allowing you to maintain the look of your home and keep your keys.
How does the lock connect?The August Smart Lock 3rd Gen uses Wi-Fi Via Bridge/Hub, Bluetooth to connect.
ECOSYSTEMSAlexa Support?: Available
Google Assistant Support?: Available
Siri & Homekit Support?: Available
Smart Watch Support: Available
Out of the box IntegrationsAugust Smart Keypad, August Connect Wifi Bridge, and August View Doorbell Cam Pro
Integrations available with an add-on deviceLeviton Decora Smart Switch or Plug, Nest Cam, Brilliant Switch, Logitech Harmony Hub, Wink Hub 2, SimpliSafe, Amazon Echo Plus, Xfinity Home platform, Samsung SmartThings Hub 2nd Generation, Samsung SmartThings Hub 3rd Generation, and Nest Thermostat
DOOR COMPATIBILITYWhat type of door lock mechanisms does the August Smart Lock 3rd Gen support?
Features & Specs
Model Number AUG-SL04-M01-S04
- Ridiculously easy install with only a screwdriver, plus helpful videos if you get stuck.
- Perfect option for renters because you keep your own keys and it doesn’t change the look of the exterior.
- Sturdy, high-quality build with solid metal exterior.
- The app is easy to configure and use.
- Ability to give temporary digital keys makes this a great option for vacation rentals.
- The wifi bridge is sold separately, meaning none of the remote access features can be used until you spend the extra money.
- The auto-lock feature makes it too easy to lock yourself out if you’re just stepping out for a moment, however it can be disabled.
- Spotty connection for auto-unlock, especially for those using Android.
- Locks and bridges are 1:1, so if you’re outfitting multiple doors, it can get expensive.
Exterior Door View
Apps / Voice Commands
Alexa Support?: Yes , the August Smart Lock 3rd Gen supports Alexa with the following commands
- Check the door’s status: “Alexa, is my front door locked?”
- Lock your door: “Show me the last motion event at the front door”
- Unlock your door: “Show me the front door.” [followed by 2-way conversation]
- Set PIN code: [Configured in Alexa app]
- August View Doorbell Camera: [Alexa will notify]
- August View Doorbell Camera Activate Microphone: “Answer the front door.” [Echo Show and Dot]
Requirements: August Wifi Bridge or August Doorbell Cam and an Alexa enabled device (Echo Dot, Echo Shot, Echo Plus, Alexa enabled Sonos devices for example)
Google Assistant & Nest Support?: Yes, the August Smart Lock 3rd Gen supports Google Assistant with the following commands
- Lock: “OK, Google, lock my front door.” (use the name assigned to your door in the August app)
- Check Status: “OK, Google, is my front door locked?”
- If you have DoorSense installed on your door to indicate whether your door is open or closed, you can also check that status by saying: “Ok, Google, is my front door closed?”
Requirements: You will need either August Wifi Bridge, August Doorbell Cam and a Google Assistant enabled device like Google Nest Hub.
Siri / Apple Homekit Support?: Yes, the August Smart Lock 3rd Gen supports Apple's Homekit with Siri voice commands
- Unlock: “Hey Siri, Unlock my door”
- Lock: “Hey Siri, lock my door”
- Check Status: “Hey Siri, is my front door locked?”
Requirements: You will need either August Wifi Bridge, August Doorbell Cam or Apple TV (4th Gen and Up) to control your door remotely.
Information on Apple Watch can be found here.
Unboxing and Installation
What tools do I need to install this lock?
You will need Phillips Screwdriver to install August Smart Lock 3rd Gen
What are the locks dimensions?
The August Smart Lock 3rd Gen is 1.6 x 2.6 x 4.8 in size.
Any door size requirements?
Required clearance is 4.125” with wing latches fully extended.
August has clearly taken customer feedback to heart and applied everything they’ve learned to the August Smart Lock 3rd Generation. It does everything you could want from a smart lock. Run out the door in the morning and let it auto-lock behind you, remotely send the babysitter a temporary key, have the door auto-unlock as you approach so you don’t have to stop and search your pockets, or tell Alexa/Google to lock your door at night rather than getting out of bed to double check.
The cherry on top is that it does all of this without modifying the look of your home or requiring you to change the locking mechanism.
How does the standard 3rd gen model stack up to the Pro model?
The Postscapes Team is here to help you keep your home and family safely connected. Whether you’re looking to pick a smart lock system, we’ve spent hundreds of hours researching locks to help you find the best product to fit your specific situation.
At Postscapes we combine our years of experience following the smart home market along with user reviews to take the guesswork out of living securely connected. Learn More