Compare locks based on price, integrations and features.
The Kwiset 916 is a reasonable priced lock that fits especially well in households that already have a Zigbee or Z-wave enabled smart home hub like SmartThings or Wink.
How does the lock connect?The Kwikset 916 uses Z-Wave, Z-Wave Plus, and Zigbee to connect.
ECOSYSTEMSAlexa Support?: Available
Google Assistant Support?: No
Siri / Homekit Support?: No
Smart Watch Support? No
Out of the box IntegrationsVeraEdge, VeraPlus, Leviton Decora Smart Switch or Plug, Wink Hub 2, Wink Hub 1, Samsung SmartThings Hub 1st Generation, Samsung SmartThings Hub 2nd Generation, and Samsung SmartThings Hub 3rd Generation
Integrations available with an add-on deviceAmazon Cloud Cam, Amazon Echo Plus, and Ring Doorbell
DOOR COMPATIBILITYWhat type of door lock mechanisms does the Kwikset 916 support?
Features & Specs
Model Number 99160-002
- Can work with Alexa if you already have a smart home hub like SmartThings or Vera setup in your house.
- Users praise the easy installation process.
- Could be a positive or negative but you have to program codes directly on the lock itself for security reasons. Peace of mind for those security minded folks but not helpful if trying to use the lock to remotely manage codes or if wanting to use for Airbnb, etc
Exterior Door View
- Inconsistent battery life. Some users say they have used their batteries for multiple years where others only a few months. This also is impacted by how flush your door and lock mechanism is and how hard it has to work.
- If you dont have a smart home hub you are limited in that you cannot lock and manage the lock remotely. Also the hub integration allows you to lock the door and check its status but does not let you unlock the door or add new user access codes.
- Some users have complained about lock reliability with the lock failing to work reliably after a year or more of operation (Kwikset does have a very generous Warranty that should help offset concerns on this front)
- Changing batteries can be a bit of a hassle with the battery pack area being more difficult to access than it should be.
- The SmartThings app only controls basic locking and unlocking. For more advanced features a developer app is required so out of the box you won’t be able to unlock all functionality through the standard app.
- No a huge deal but the 4 AA batteries are not included.
Apps / Voice Commands
Alexa Support?: Yes , the Kwikset 916 supports Alexa with the following commands
Note: You will need a Wink or SmartThings hub for Alexa to work and it uses their Alexa Skills.
- Alexa, lock the Kitchen Door.
- Alexa, is the Front Door locked?
· Alexa, is the Front Door locked?For now, the API utilized by SmartThings and Wink does not support unlocking your home security hardware. You can only lock and check lock status at this time.
Unboxing and Installation
Whats in the box.
The Kwikset smart lock is a decent tool for homes that are looking for basic smart lock functionality and becomes a much better choice if you already have a Zigbee or Z-Wave smart home hub in your home.
Features like pin access codes, auto-lock and a touchscreen panel come out of the box. If you don’t already have a smart home hub than we suggest you look elsewhere for locks with more features at a similar price point.
If you do have a smart home hub than the door opens up more options like Alexa integration (Siri/Homekit not supported) and features like setting automation schedules or integrations with other settings like turning off your lights when at the same time as locking your door.
Even with a smart home hub their are a few things to be aware of with the 916, you can not add new access codes remotely or unlock the door remotely. This is done for security reasons. If you really need this option we recommend looking at another lock.
Overall the 916 is a mid-range priced lock with mid-range features. it wont win any awards but could be a functional winner for you if you are looking for basic smart lock functionality from a reputable company.
How does the standard 3rd gen model stack up to the Pro model?
The Postscapes Team is here to help you keep your home and family safely connected. Whether you’re looking to pick a smart lock system, we’ve spent hundreds of hours researching locks to help you find the best product to fit your specific situation.
At Postscapes we combine our years of experience following the smart home market along with user reviews to take the guesswork out of living securely connected. Learn More