The Kwikset Obsidian Keyless deadbolt is all about minimalist style. Offering a simple and effective package of keyless home entry, it performs well with no frills attached. This is a sleek, attractive product that performs basic functions for a reasonable price.
How does the lock connect?The Kwikset Obsidian Smart Lock uses Zigbee, Z-Wave Plus to connect.
ECOSYSTEMSAlexa Support?: Available
Google Assistant Support?: No
Siri / Homekit Support?: No
Smart Watch Support? No
Out of the box IntegrationsVeraEdge, VeraPlus, Securifi Almond+, Wink Hub 2, Wink Hub 1, Amazon Echo Plus, Samsung SmartThings Hub 1st Generation, and Samsung SmartThings Hub 2nd Generation
DOOR COMPATIBILITYWhat type of door lock mechanisms does the Kwikset Obsidian Smart Lock support?
Features & Specs
Model Number 99540-001
- The sleek obsidian color and design will fit in to any home.
- Can easily install onto the existing deadbolt in a short amount of time.
- SecureScreen patented technology prevents dirty fingerprints lingering on-screen and revealing your pin code.
- Connected version gives you 30 customizable user codes so family and friends can gain access.
- Users can plug in a 9V battery for backup power in case of failure.
- No backup key included.
- Short battery life means they need replaced several times a year.
- Battery replacement is quite complex and unintuitive, with hard-to-remove battery casing.
- You cannot remotely add access codes from your smart home hub
- No standalone app (you use your Z-Wave or Zigbee connected hub like Smarthings or Wink)
Exterior Door View
Apps / Voice Commands
Alexa Support?: Yes , the Kwikset Obsidian Smart Lock supports Alexa with the following commands
Only works with Alexa when using an add-on Z-Wave Plus supported hub like SmarthThings or Wink.
Unboxing and Installation
What tools do I need to install this lock?
You will need 4 AA Batteries, Ruler, Phillips head screwdriver to install Kwikset Obsidian Smart Lock
What are the locks dimensions?
The Kwikset Obsidian Smart Lock is 9.7 x 4.2 x 4 inches in size.
Any door size requirements?
Hole inthe door is either 2-1/8" (54 mm) or1-1/2" (38 mm).The door isbetween 1-3/8" and 2" (35 mm and51 mm) thick.
Kwikset have created a stylish alternative to the conventional lock. For those prone to losing keys, the Obsidian Smart Lock provides a sleek alternative for a reasonable price. The patented SecureScreen technology is also a nice touch, making sure that your pin number isn’t revealed by grubby fingerprints.
Thirty customizable user codes make the Kwikset a great tool for multiple occupancy home. The lock’s only real weakness is a short battery life compounded by a hard-to-remove battery casing.
The lock comes with both Zigbee or Z-Wave plus connectivity so you can integrate with smart home hubs. The lock however does not come outfitted with a stand-alone mobile app so you are limited in what you can do like adding access codes remotely from your phone.
If you value style over practicality, however, then the Kwikset Obsidian is as attractive as they come!
The Postscapes Team is here to help you keep your home and family safely connected. Whether you’re looking to pick a smart lock system, we’ve spent hundreds of hours researching locks to help you find the best product to fit your specific situation.
At Postscapes we combine our years of experience following the smart home market along with user reviews to take the guesswork out of living securely connected. Learn More