Best WiFi and Bluetooth Smart Door Locks
Find and compare the right digital deadbolt for your home. Remotely lock and control access to your door from your Android or iPhone.
Internet-connected door locks offer sophisticated "access control" features to any home or business. Proximity sensors like Bluetooth and NFC can unlock a door whenever an authorized user's smartphone approaches. Users can also remotely lock and unlock the door, or share access with any number of others, using mobile apps. Physical keypads provide a backup with many locks, but are no longer the main way to let yourself in.
The following Channel Guide will help you:
- Determine which connectivity type you need? (WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, or Cellular)
- Get app reviews, and see if the lock can integrate with your smart home hub and other connected devices.
- Filter based on monthly fees, or if the handle has electronic key code capabilities.
Smart Door Locks
Many companies are active in the smart door lock market, including traditional lockmakers as well as startups. Here are some options that are currently available for purchase.
"Keep the bad guys out and let the good guys in."
- Auto lock & auto unlock, no more fumbling for keys. - Keep your existing hardware
- Stop hiding keys under the mat. Create virtual keys for family and guests.
- Keep tabs on loved ones with instant notifications and 24/7 activity log.
- Keyless access for Airbnb hosts and guests.
"The smartest smart lock ever."
- Grant housecleaners, contractors and guests time-limited or recurring access and get notifications when your lock i used and by whom.
- Full deadbolt replacement
- Virtual keys, time-controlled and recurring access codes
"WiFi Door Lock"
- The RemoteLock connects to your existing WiFi router. No additional equipment needed!
- Receive emails or text messages when your guests arrive, or anyone accesses your property. Up to 1000 user codes or guest codes available to store in its memory
- Integrate with your Airbnb listing in under a minute
"We put more in. To keep more out."
- Illuminated touchscreen
- 30 Access code memory capacity
- Bluetooth Connectivity - Apple HomeKit support
"Yale Real Living"
- Programmable up to 25 users
- Installs on standard doors in minutes with just a screwdriver
- Z-Wave Connectivity *Requires Z-Wave compatible hub
Cloud Integration Platforms
- Alarm.Com Access Control (List of compatible hardware)
- ADT Access and Smart Locks
- Lowes Iris compatible door locks
Closed / No Longer Available
DIY & Open-Source Smart Door Locks
While the safekeeping of your home may best be left to professionals with expertise in digital encryption and other security tools, it's quite possible to create your own smart door locks that can be opened via Bluetooth, RFID or even a text message. Here are a few projects that will walk you through the process.
Instructable by Collin Amedee
A project by Dheera Venkatraman "This an exceedingly simple project but I describe it here for instructional purposes. We use a vanilla Arduino...
Smart doorbells add a few additional features to the typical smart lock, like providing streaming video of who's at your door and using facial recognition software to detect authorized users. Here are the options.
The Ring Video Doorbell lets you answer the door from anywhere with your smartphone. Connects to your Wi-Fi network and works with iOS and Android...
SkyBell is a Wi-Fi video doorbell with video camera, speaker, microphone and motion sensor. See, Hear and Speak with your visitor from iOS and...
Access Control Platforms
For owners of commercial and vacation properties, it may be worth investing in more than a standalone smart lock. Access control platforms make it easy to manage multiple locks at multiple locations, each with their own shifting set of users.
Pre-Order & Crowdfunded
The market for smart door locks is rife with innovation, and many promising gadgets are launched via crowdfunding and pre-order campaigns. If the feature set you need isn't available yet, you may be able to support a project that will deliver it soon.