Best GPS Bike Trackers and Smart Locks
Find and compare the best bicycle tracking devices and locks. Fight theft, get sent an alarm alert, and increase your bike security.
The Internet of Things is making a new breed of gear available to tech-savvy cyclists.
Anti-theft devices track a bike's location and send alerts if it leaves a designated area, while smart bike locks can be opened without a physical key and allow several riders to share access to a single bike. Many of these devices offer additional features like ride analytics and crash alerts.
The following Channel Guide will help you:
- Determine which connectivity type you need for best tracking and coverage (WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, or GSM Cellular)
- Get app reviews, and see if the lock can work with your Android or iPhone.
- Filter based on monthly fees, or if the lock or tracking device has additional social or safety features.
Off-the-Shelf Smart Bike Locks
Digital bike security is available in a variety of forms, from smart accessories and U-locks to bikes with GPS trackers built right into the frame. Here are some options available on the retail market.
"Go Keyless "
- Access Sharing
- Backup Combo Code (Bluetooth 4 Connectivity)
- 5-Year Battery Life (10,000 lock/unlock operations)
- Access Control (Time, Location, Duration)
- Audio Alarm (If someone enters an incorrect quick-click code more than four times, a shrieking alarm will sound)
- Quick Clcik backup access (A unique combination of short and long clicks on the end cap set when you purchase lock)
- Bluetooth 4.0 w/ 5 years standard battery life
Pre-Order & Crowdfunded
The market for smart bike accessories is rife with innovation, and many promising gadgets are launched via crowdfunding and pre-order campaigns. If the feature set you need isn't available yet, you may be able to support a project that will deliver it soon.
Bluetooth and Cellular Bike Tracking Devices to make sure your new expensive bike purchase is never stolen.
"Stop Your Bicycle Theft Before It Begins."
- GPS chip, and a Verizon Cellular radio
- App tracks distance, elevation, number of rides, calories burned,carbon offset and gas money saved.
- Anti theft alarm and text message alerts
"THE CRICKET Your Extra Sense"
- Replaceable CR2032 coin cell battery
- Bluetooth 4.0 (Range of up to 150 feet (50 meters)
- Cricket becomes a beacon that alerts all other Cricket users in the area if bike is stolen
- Spybike $140 (Hides in your bicycle steerer tube)
- ATian head tube GPS tracker
- Valour bike (GPS and mesh network for theft alerts)
GPS embedded in lights
- CycleLeash (Based in Australia..)
GPS Tracker not initially intended for bicycles
Pre-Order / Crowdfunded
Questionable / Defunct
DIY & Open-Source Bike Trackers
Serious cyclists often have a do-it-yourself approach to bike maintenance, so why not build your own smart bike-tracking device? Here are a few projects that will walk you through the process.
"Our tutorial will show you how to build a realtime bicycle tracking application that collects position of a bicycle in realtime using the LinkIt...
- Guardian: To catch a bike thief – use GPS and Google Maps
- The Atlantic: Could Bike GPS Actually Help You Get Your Stolen Bike Back?
- To Catch a Bike Thief