Best WiFi and Bluetooth Smart Garage Door Openers
Find and compare the best wireless garage door openers. Remotely control access to your garage from your Android or iPhone.
The wireless garage door opener is far older than the Internet, but today’s connected technologies have added new capabilities for monitoring and sharing access to your garage from anywhere in the world.
With the help of mobile apps, not only will your smartphone replace your garage’s remote control, but you’ll also get reminders when you’ve left the door open, easily manage who can access your garage, get notifications to your cell phone whenever the door is used, set rules for automatic opening and closing, and even monitor the garage via a video stream.
The following Channel Guide will help you:
- Determine which connectivity type you need? (WiFi, Bluetooth, or Cellular)
- Get app reviews, and see if the lock can integrate with your smart home hub and other connected devices.
- Filter based on monthly fees, or if the opener has electronic key pad and code capability.
Looking for a way to control and connect to your driveway access gate?
Smart Garage Door Openers
These garage door openers offer built-in connectivity, replace your old door opener unit to enjoy all the benefits of an iPhone or Android enabled garage.
- Added security
Garages are often a target for thieves as they are typically easier to get in and out of and they know they can get away with valuable bikes, tools and anything inside a parked car
- Home Access
If you don't have a smart lock installed on your door many people find it easier to give their kids and guests access to their homes via the garage. Having a smart garage door lets you do this remotely from your phone or desktop at work.
- Automatic Opening/Closing
Many smart garage openers can work with your car directly or via your phones GPS and Bluetooth to automatically open the garage for your when you arrive and close it behind it when you leave. No more wondering if you left it open during the day.
- Safe Package Deliveries
If you are uncomfortable with letting delivery drivers inside your home to drop a package off a garage can provide a nice middle ground if you keep getting packages stolen. Key by Amazon and others will let you provide one-time direct access to your garage so they can safely leave a package for you.
There is no one size fits all solution when it comes to picking out a smart garage door opener.
A few important questions.
- Is your garage within range of your home router and get good Wi-fi connection?
- There are cellular gate options available or you can use a Wi-fi extenders if not)
- Are you wanting this to be stand-alone or integrate into a larger smart home or home security system?
- Almost all of the options listed below will have their own open/close access apps but might not be able to work with other devices you have hooked up like a video camera security system.
Features and add-on devices:
- Almost all of these solutions will have both an Android and iOS app for you to use and manage your door from
- Integrations with smart homes devices and assistants
- Getting your door to work with Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri and smart home hubs like Wink and SmartThings is very device dependent.
- Video Cameras
- Some models have direct video cameras while others integrate with their own cameras or 3rd party products from visibility both inside and outside of your garage
- Two-way audio
- Helpful for security reasons, or perhaps to tell your husband or wife to come in for supper 🙂
- Keypad Access
- Give access either via a smart phone app or with specific keypad codes
- Car Sensors
- Using either your phones GPS or an additional Bluetooth device the doors can automatically sense your car and open it for your arrival
- Door Sensors
- Understand when your door is open or closed.
- LED lights
- Some of the newer models of smart garages have very high powered LEDs to light up your entire garage
- Smart Door Locks
- Lock and unlock your side access door
|Best opener to use with Homekit*||Chamberlain MYQ Openers||*Requires $99 extra hub|
|Best opener for use with SmartThings||GoControl GD00z-4 $72|
|Garage opener with top rated Itunes / iOS app:||MyQ||Itunes App (4.5/5 with 36,549 Reviews)|
|Garage opener with top rated Android / Google Play app||MyQ||Android App (4.5/5 with 14,769 Reviews)|
|Cheapest opener with good reviews:||GarageGate $49.95|
By Publication for best overall and Editors Choice:
Retrofit Smart Garage
Already have a garage door and just looking to add some connectivity and remote control to it?
With a quick installation the devices below will allow you to hook into your existing garage.
Note: Chamberlain/Liftmaster/MyQ are all integrated under the same technology, they are pushing people to their solution so the newer models of their product lines. If it is Security+2.0 enabled they will often prohibit these retrofit solutions from working.
- Typically only need a screwdriver for tools
- Usually a simple process of plugging two cables into the wiring input terminals of your garage door or from your wired wall push button.
- Looks more intimidating than it is.
You can view a sample video below to get a feel for what the process entails.
- Monitor the door position (open or closed) and any change through the Aladdin Connect app or manually
- One Door Control Module controls up to three doors
- Access Open and Close History
- Receive open and closing notifications
- Needs an additional subscription for Google Assistant and IFTTT
- Check the status or control your garage door from anywhere
Garage Door Buddy
- Support for up to two openers
- Receive real-time notifications and guest access
- No monthly fees - Installation takes less than five minutes
Retrofit Smart Garages with Video Cameras
Keep tabs on both the inside and outside of your garage with these HD video monitoring systems.
Use the system to verify who is asking for access and have video footage in case of a robbery or other incident.
Note: Typically if you want to store more than a day or two of footage expect to pay a monthly fee for this feature.
ismartgate Ultimate PRO Garage
- Control of up to 3 doors and compatibility with wired sensors (for high traffic applications)
- IP Camera: Night vision, two-way audio, HD definition, motion&sound detection
- User management and video recording (optional)
Works with proprietary openers
SmartThings Sensors - "You’ll need a Z-Wave outlet, a SmartThings multi-sensor, a presence sensor, and the “Ridiculously Automated Garage Door SmartApp”. Put the presence sensor in your car, the multi-sensor in your garage to detect movement, and use the Z-Wave outlet to act as a relay control."
Nold - € 99.00
New Smart Garage Doors
Genie offers an add-on smart garage controller along with some models with Wi-fi connectivity already integrated inside.
These models include:
The company operates all of its connected products using the Aladdin Connect App. This app has gotten only OK reviews so far.
Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
The Chamberlain Group offers connected Wi-Fi garages under both the Chamberlain and Liftmaster brands and uses the myQ app as a way to connect their wide range of product lines.
Their integrated openers include:
- Chamberlain - C450: Chain Drive ($179.00 MSRP)
- Chamberlain - C273 Battery Backup Chain Drive ($199.00 MSRP)
- Chamberlain - B550 Quiet Belt Drive ($199.00 MSRP)
- Chamberlain - B750 Ultra-Quiet Belt Drive ($229.00 MSRP)
- Chamberlain - RJO70: Next-gen wall mounted ($395.00 MSRP)
New Smart Garage Door Comparisons
|Company||Model||Type||Horsepower||Features||Max Height||Keypad Included||Reviews||Latest Price||More Info|
|Liftmaster||1355||Chain Drive||1/2 HP||7'||Add-on|
|Chamberlain||C450||Chain Drive||1/2 HP||7' (8-10' with extension kit)|
|Genie||ChainGlide Model 2033-TKV||Chain Drive||1/2 HP||7' (8' w/ extension kit)|
|Chamberlain||C273||Chain Drive||1/2 HP||Battery Backup||7' (8-10' with extension kit)|| Add-on|
|Chamberlain||B550||Belt Drive||1/2 HP||7' (8-10' with extension kit)|
|Chamberlain||B750||Belt Drive||Equivalent to 3/4 HP||7' (8-10' with extension kit)|
|Chamberlain||RJO20||Wall Mounted Motor||Auto-Lock Deadbolt, Battery Back-Up, Remote LED Light||14' Tall and 18' Wide - Must have a front mount torsion bar system|
|Liftmaster||8500W||Wall Mounted Motor||Powers 850 lbs. Doors||Auto-Lock Deadbolt, Battery Back-Up, Remote LED Light||14' Tall and 18' Wide Must have a front mount torsion bar system||Add-on|
|Liftmaster||8587||Chain Drive||3/4 HP||Auto-Lock Deadbolt||7' -14'||Add-on|
Integrations and Accessories
Would you like to get a fully decked out garage?
Integrate your garage into a more complete smart home system? Add a keypad to let your kids or delivery drivers access your garage?
Apple Homekit/Siri Garage Opener
- iSmartGate: works with Siri out of the Box
- MyQ enabled garages: You will need to add the MyQ Home Bridge Add-on to get Siri voice control and remote control with Homekit
Google Assistant/Home Garage Opener
Open, close and check the status of your door using Google Assistant actions.
Amazon Alexa Garage Opener
You are in luck if you are looking for Alexa support as a wide range of smart garage openers have this built-in.
Smart home control - SmartThings:
The best options for smart home control with SmartThings are:
- Community SmartThings MyQ integration (only supported in the SmartThings Classic mobile app)with any compatible Liftmaster/Chamberlain garage
- Note: If you want to check on the door status you will need to add an additional tilt sensor
- The GoControl retrofit add-on that integrates and you can control from anywhere.
Interested in adding a keypad to your MyQ enabled Liftmaster/Chamberlain/Craftsman garage door?
Note: the MyQ app does not allow you to add remote codes directly.
DIY & Open-Source Smart Garage Door Openers
Upgrading your garage doesn't have to mean replacing the mechanism that opens and closes your garage door. DIY solutions can add remote access and cloud connectivity features to older hardware.
PARTICLE CELLULAR SMART GARAGE
ARDUINO - MYDOOROPENER
MyDoorOpener only requires a low-cost and easy to configure Arduino controller to open/close/monitor your garage door. No computer needs to remain...
GarageMote is a garage door controller shield kit for Moteino that can be used to remotely control a garage door from anywhere on the web or from...
ARDUINO WIFI GARAGE DOOR OPENER
Instructables by MegunoLink
ESP8266 AND MQTT GARAGE DOOR
By Brian Wharton
BLUETOOTH ANDROID CONTROLLED GARAGE DOOR REMOTE
By Matthew Ford and Forward Computing and Control Pty this project demonstrates how simple it is to control your Arduino device from your Andriod...
- Brent Nycum Hacking My Garage With A Raspberry Pi (3/23/2013)
- Arduino Uno/Vera Garage Controller Instructable by Aramperez
- XBee Garage Door (last update 1/12/2012)
- PC Remote Garage Door
- LinuxFocus.org Smartphone garage door opener
- Brad Fitz: Android Garage Door Opener
- Plastibots - IoT Garage Door Monitor/Opener with Finger Print Scanner
- Spark Particle DIY Garage Door by David Gatti