Best WiFi and Bluetooth Smart Door Locks
Find and compare the right digital deadbolt for your home. Remotely lock and control access to your door from your Android or iPhone.
Smart door locks offer sophisticated "access control" features to any home or business. Proximity sensors like Bluetooth and NFC can enable a door to unlock whenever an authorized user's smartphone approaches. Users can also remotely lock and unlock the door, or share access with any number of others, using mobile apps. Physical keypads provide a backup with many locks, but are no longer the main way to let yourself in.
The following Channel Guide will help you:
- Determine which connectivity type you need? (WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, or Cellular)
- Get app reviews, and see if the lock can integrate with your smart home hub and other connected devices.
- Filter based on monthly fees, or if the handle has electronic key code capabilities.
Smart Door Locks
Many companies are active in the smart door lock market, including traditional lockmakers as well as startups. Here are some options that are currently available for purchase.
"Keep the bad guys out and let the good guys in."
- Auto lock & auto unlock, no more fumbling for keys. - Keep your existing hardware
- Stop hiding keys under the mat. Create virtual keys for family and guests.
- Keep tabs on loved ones with instant notifications and 24/7 activity log.
- Keyless access for Airbnb hosts and guests.
"The smartest smart lock ever."
- Grant housecleaners, contractors and guests time-limited or recurring access and get notifications when your lock i used and by whom.
- Full deadbolt replacement
- Virtual keys, time-controlled and recurring access codes
"Unlock your door without keys"
- Bluetooth connectivity and Proximity Unlock
- Remote access using optional Bridge
- Share access with other people (no one time use codes)
"We put more in. To keep more out."
- Illuminated touchscreen
- 30 Access code memory capacity
- Bluetooth Connectivity - Apple HomeKit support
"Touch-to-Open smart lock."
- Bluetooth Connectivity with touch to open capabilities
- Integration with Nest, Ring, IFTTT
- eKeys for guests, mailman, etc that can be set for 24 hour period, on a schedule, etc. View activity log of people using door
- Optional Key fob for those who don't use a smartphone
"Touchscreen smart lock. Works with Apple HomeKit."
- Apple support only
- Voice commands with Siri, Remote access control with a 3rd generation Apple TV or later
- Assign up to 30 customizable user codes
"Welcome to a new generation of keyless"
- Originally Crowdfunded
- Hidden Backup Key
- Bluetooth 4 connectivity, OLED display, fingerprint technology
"Lose Your Keys. For Good."
- Bluetooth connectivity, Share up to 5 digital keys
- Create up to 12 unique pin codes
- Replaces existing deadbolt with just a screwdriver
Requires Z-Wave Hub like SmartThings, Wink
Electricmagnetic Strike Lock
Cloud Integration Platforms
- Alarm.Com Access Control (List of compatible hardware)
- ADT Access and Smart Locks
- Lowes Iris compatible door locks
Closed / No Longer Available
Still not quite sure how these smart locks are installed on your existing door? Take a look at the video embedded below to get a better idea.
DIY & Open-Source Smart Door Locks
While the safekeeping of your home may best be left to professionals with expertise in digital encryption and other security tools, it's quite possible to create your own smart door locks that can be opened via Bluetooth, RFID or even a text message. Here are a few projects that will walk you through the process.
Instructable by Collin Amedee
A project by Dheera Venkatraman "This an exceedingly simple project but I describe it here for instructional purposes. We use a vanilla Arduino...
Smart doorbells add a few additional features to the typical smart lock, like providing streaming video of who's at your door and using facial recognition software to detect authorized users. Here are the options.
The Ring Video Doorbell lets you answer the door from anywhere with your smartphone. Connects to your Wi-Fi network and works with iOS and Android...
SkyBell is a Wi-Fi video doorbell with video camera, speaker, microphone and motion sensor. See, Hear and Speak with your visitor from iOS and...
Access Control Platforms
For owners of commercial and vacation properties, it may be worth investing in more than a standalone smart lock. Access control platforms make it easy to manage multiple locks at multiple locations, each with their own shifting set of users.
Pre-Order & Crowdfunded
The market for smart door locks is rife with innovation, and many promising gadgets are launched via crowdfunding and pre-order campaigns. If the feature set you need isn't available yet, you may be able to support a project that will deliver it soon.
There are generally two main categories of smart locks currently on the market. Many consist of devices you are able to attach to your current deadbolt, or replace only certain parts of your lock for it to work. The August Smart Lock is an example of this that replaces the interior thumb latch but not the entire deadbolt itself. The other category of smart locks require a complete deadbolt replacements. Most connected models allow you to remotely access your door's information from your smartphone or Desktop web app, while others require you to be physically next to the lock for the smartphone to verify your access and let you in.
Some things to look out for:
- Does it require access to a 3rd party smart home hub like SmartThings, Wink, Alexa in order to work properly
- What are the backup options for the lock when the power or Internet go down? Can you use a backup key to get into the house?