IoT Cloud Platform Landscape
Find and compare IoT Cloud Platform providers. Quickly narrow your choices based on your feature requirements, vertical market focus and vendor hardware integrations.
Developing for the Internet of Things is a complex endeavor, and nobody wants to do it from scratch. IoT data platforms offer a jumping-off point by combining many of the tools needed to manage a deployment from device management to data prediction and insights into one service.
Providers of platforms include pure-play 3rd party platforms, hardware vendors, connectivity providers, and system integrators.
The following Channel Guide will help you:
- Help narrow down your platform requirements (end-to-end, open source, etc)
- Filter based on feature sets, API, architecture, apps and pricing.
- Comparisons based on platform focus (analytics, mobile, device integrations)
Featured IoT Cloud Solution
"Ayla's Enterprise Software Solutions Provide the Powerful Tools Needed to Deploy Connected Products Globally"
- The fastest way to deploy connected products
- End-to-end IoT Platform solves all IoT pieces
- Configurable platform Ayla doesn't believe in custom coding
- Ayla’s Agile Mobile Application Platform (AMAP)
IoT Cloud Platform solutions backed by large publicly traded companies
- Our end-to-end ecosystem strategy means you don’t have to develop your own modules, network stack, or cloud on-boarding
- Java/Android, ObjC (iOS and Mac), Python, Ruby and more SDKs.
- REST/HTTP, websockets, MQTT, and CoAP support
- Runs on cloud infrastructure as a white-label subscription service.
- Customers have managed up to 500,000 assets and 100,000 device messages per second
- M2M/IoT protocol and data format adapters: CoAP, UDP, HTTP, Modbus, XMPP, DDS, MQTT and Vendor-Specific M2M Technologies
"Reliably scale to billions of devices and trillions of messages."
- Supports HTTP, WebSockets, and MQTT
- Rules Engine can route messages to AWS endpoints including AWS Lambda, Amazon Kinesis, Amazon S3, Amazon Machine Learning, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon CloudWatch, and Amazon Elasticsearch Service with built-in Kibana integration
- Create a persistent, virtual version, or “shadow,” of each device that includes the device’s latest state
"Your Platform for the Industrial Internet"
- Supports over 60 regulatory frameworks worldwide.
- Predix Services
- Based on Pivotal Cloud Foundry
"Create streams of insight by extending your infrastructure to the physical world"
- Take advantage of Google’s heritage of web-scale processing, analytics, and machine intelligence.
- Utilizes Google's global fiber network (70 points of presence across 33 countries) for ultra-low latency
"Capture and analyze untapped data to improve business results"
- Easily integrate Azure IoT Suite with your systems and applications, including Salesforce, SAP, Oracle Database, and Microsoft Dynamics
- Azure IoT Suite packages together Azure IoT services with preconfigured solutions.
- Supports HTTP, Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP), and MQ Telemetry Transport (MQTT).
- Gateway SDK
"Securely connect and manage devices, analyze data, and apply cognitive services."
- Machine Learning - Automate data processing and rank data based on learned priorities.
- Raspberry Pi Support - Develop IoT apps that leverage Raspberry Pi, cognitive capabilities and APIs
- Real-Time Insights - Contextualize and analyze real-time IoT data
"One Platform – Limitless Possibilities"
- Coldlight - IoT Analytics
- Augmented Reality Integration (Vuforia Studio Enterprise)
- Edge Microserver & "Always On"SDK
"Connect the Internet of Things with the Internet of Customers."
- Connect data from every device, sensor, website, and interaction with Salesforce to get a more complete view of your customers.
- AppExchange Products
- Built on scalable event processing engine (Thunder), designed to ingest and analyze billions of connected events
"Connect “Things” to “Apps”"
- Broad range of development environments (AppZone C, AppZone for Android™, AppZone Python and AppZone Linux).
- Features a low cost pay-as-you-go service plan
- The connectivity management facility allows the aggregation of several CDPs from Telit IoT Connectivity, other MNOs or MVNOs.
Pricing & reviews
User & Technical
"Simplify the creation, deployment, and management of connected products and solutions on the IoT"
- The messaging broker supports connections using native MQTT and WebSockets MQTT.
- Xively provides a C client library for use on devices
- Xively provides an application for integrating connected products into the Salesforce Service Cloud.
- ARM mbed OS IoT Starter Kit
- Zatar offers an open Application API for creating custom applications, a Device API for connecting smarter devices and a portfolio of IoT applications for implementing IoT solutions.
"INTERNET OF THINGS FOR YOUR ENTERPRISE."
Data management services with open source licenses
- Pre-integrated with popular data processing systems
- Minimum hardware requirements for the C SDK are about 10 kB RAM and 40 kB ROM
- Licensed under Apache Software License 2.0
"Buliding blocks for the internet of things"
- Based on a powerful plug-in and services model.
- Includes HTTP(S) and MQTT clients and SQLite as its embedded database.
- Connect devices with MQTT, AMQP, Stomp, and other protocols
- Deploy to your own private cloud or on premise or to public clouds such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon EC2
- CPAL 1.0 license
"The open data platform for the Internet of Things"
- Apps - ThingSpeak Integration Channelsfor 3rd party services
- MATLAB analytics and visualizations
- Works with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black, and other hardware.
Popular maker friendly platforms with integration with Arduino, Raspi and other DIY hardware platforms
"CARRying the Internet Of ThingS"
- Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Nanode, etc. Works great!
- Use our HTTP RESTful API to push and pull XML or JSON encoded data
- Deploy and scale from tiny prototypes to thousands of devices
"Stream data from your devices to beautiful visualizations in your web browser"
- Integration with a wide range of hardware and cloud platform providers
- Easily embed custom dashboards and visualizations into your website or projects
"Build Real-time IoT Solutions With Ease"
- Drag-and-drop reaction editor and data visualizations
- Wide range of supported Hardware
- Losant provides open source SDKs for Arduino and Node.js
"The world's first drag-and-drop project builder developed to quickly design and prototype projects"
- Operator of Cayenne - The world's first drag-and-drop project builder developed to quickly design and prototype projects
- Quickly connect your Raspberry Pi with our mobile app and manage your IoT projects
- Endpoint agents and the Web clients are abstracted with myDevices’ cloud server
Pricing & reviews
User & Technical
"Your IoT Software Stack"
- Pre-built processes that handle common aspects of IoT applications
- Pre-shipped libraries for multiple hardware development platforms
- 2000 pre-built API processes and more than 10 SDKs for many programming languages
"Internet of Things applications platform"
- All of your widgets can be shared through a public URL, or embedded in external web or mobile applications.
- Provides Python, Java, C, PHP, Node and Ruby libraries
- You can add any type of metadata and attributes to your data sources
Hardware / Sensor First
Overview of IoT platforms designed from the ground up based on certain hardware
"A Complete Sensor Solution that Deploys in Minutes"
- Pre-made vertical solutions
- Cellular Connectivity - Samsara connects out of the box with no SIM cards to provision, carrier contracts to negotiate, or data fees to manage.
- Samsara’s advanced analytics engines provide deep visibility - from anomaly detection to utilization and trend analysis - providing operators with actionable data to improve efficiency.
- Allows monitoring in remote and demanding locations at a much more reasonable price point per node
"connectivity that transforms"
- Private impCloud option available (servers are owned by the customer, but configured and operated by Electric Imp)
- Wide range of developer kits
- impCloud equips every one of the devices you ship with its own unique ‘agent’: a fully programmable cloud-hosted micro-server
Comparison of providers where connectivity is the primary entry point to data management platform
- Pay-As-You-Go Plans (Coverage in 100 Counties)
- Safely deploy and manage firmware across your devices
- integrate your product with other web services
"Build your Internet of Things."
- We'll provide SIM cards and manage the cellular connectivity completely through our Dashboard
- Private cloud available
- Open Source
Provider List Comparison
A directory list of platform providers based on feature sets, hardware/language support, etv
Common IoT Platform Features
|Edge||System Management & Connections||Insights & Actions|
|Device / User Management||Cloud Connectors||Dashboards / Visualizations / Apps|
|Roles & Permissioning||Event Logic / Alerts||Application Builders|
|Local Cloud Gateway||Subscriptions / Billing||Data Marketplaces|
|Libraries Adapters / SDKs||APIs||Turn-key Vertical Applications|
|Security & Access Controls||OTA firmware and software updates||Predictive / Prescriptive Analytics|
|Identity Management||Storage / App Hosting||Voice Interface / AR / MR / VR Integrations|
In-depth Technical Comparisons
- Azure IoT Vs AWS IOT | Paolo Patierno | 2/5/2016
- Azure IoT vs AWS IoT (form submission required) | VDC Research | 3/2016
Making a decision:
- What to Look for in an Industrial Internet of Things Cloud Platform - Engineering.com 12/2016
- Choosing an IoT System? Ask These 8 Questions to Platform Providers - ElectronicDesign 9/2016
- The CIO Checklist For Choosing The Right Enterprise IoT Platform - Forbes 4/2016
- Top 4 considerations for choosing an iot platform-enabled solution - Fastream 11/2015
Paid Research and Market Reports (IoT Market Reports)
- Machnation Platform Overview Summary (PDF) | 5/2016
- IoT-Analytics Platform Report | 1/2016
- Parks Associates Platform Report | 1Q 2016
- Gartner IoT Platform Market Guide | 7/2015
- Berg Insight Platform Report Overview (PDF)
- Markets and Markets IoT Platform Report | 11/2015
- First Analysis overview (PDF) | 9/2/2015
- Machina IoT Platforms Reports
Major Acquisitions in Platform Space
Acquired Company / Purchaser | Date | Amount
- Plat.One / SAP | 9/28/2016 | N/A
- Jasper / Cisco | 3/26/2016 | $1.4B
- Solair / Microsoft | 5/3/2016 | N/A
- PrismTech / Adlink | 12/14/2015 | N/A(Raised $2.32M)
- Parstream / Cisco | 11/26/2015 | N/A (Raised $13.6M)
- B+B SmartWorx / Advantech | 11/16/2015 | $99.85M
- Etherios (Digi) / West Monroe Partners | 10/26/2015 | $9M
- SeeControl / Autodesk | 8/27/2015 | N/A (Raised $5.12M)
- Mformation / Alcatel-Lucent | 9/18/215 | N/A (Raised $40.13M)
- 2lemetry / Amazon | 3/2015 | N/A (Raised $4M)
- ProSyst / Bosch | 2/16/2015 | N/A
- Thingworx / PTC | 12/30/2013 | $112M
- ILS / Telit | 9/12/2013 $8.5M
- Sensinode / ARM | 8/27/2013 | N/A (Raised $1.37M)
- SensorLogic / Gemalto | 12/20/2011 | N/A (Raised $30M)
- Pachube (Now Xively) / Logmein | 7/20/2011 | N/A
View Complete list of IoT acquisitions here.