A comparison directory of Internet of Things (IoT) gateway hardware and software. Review specs and vendor offerings
Gateways are emerging as a key element of bringing legacy and next-gen devices to the Internet of Things (IoT). They integrate protocols for networking, help manage storage and edge analytics on the data, and facilitate data flow securely between edge devices and the cloud.
The following guide will help you:
- Give list of background articles on the shifting balance between cloud and edge computing and best practices in processing and filtering the streaming data from an IoT deployment.
- Narrow down on solution provider based on hardware specs and software support
- Identify Gateway and Edge Intelligence software solutions for your deployment.
- Integrates with wide range of cloud partners
- Smartphone, Cellular, Mobile and Hand Phone Detection to understand traffic or people flows
- Aluminium IP65 enclosure allows Meshlium to be placed anywhere outdoors.
Enterprise IoT Gateway Vendors
Who are the key Internet of Things gateway providers?
IoT Gateway Comparison
IoT Gateway Software
ProSyst provides a hardware- and OS-agnostic IoT middleware stack as well as the remote device management and software provisioning system running at service providers or device OEMs back end or in the cloud.
Wind River Intelligent Device Platform XT is a customizable middleware development environment that provides security, connectivity, rich networking options, and device management.
Adaptive Gateways for dIverse muLtiple Environments
AGILE builds a modular hardware and software gateway for the Internet of Things with support for protocol interoperability, device and data management, IoT apps...
FogHorn Lightning software for IIoT enables high performance edge processing, optimized analytics, and heterogeneous applications to be hosted as close as possible to the control systems and physical sensor infrastructure that...
Eclipse Kura aims at offering a Java/OSGi-based container for M2M applications running in service gateways. Kura components are designed as configurable OSGi Declarative Service exposing service API and raising events.
KEPServerEX is a single solution for collecting, aggregating, and providing secure access to industrial operations data. Its platform design allows users to connect, manage, monitor, and control diverse automation devices and...
Microsoft Azure IoT Gateway SDK
"The Microsoft Azure IoT Gateway SDK contains the infrastructure and modules to create IoT gateway solutions."
"Little IoT Agent (liota) is an open source offering for IoT solution developers and resides primarily on IoT gateways. Liota has been generalized to allow, via modules, interaction with any data-center component, over any transport, and for any IoT gateway. It is easy-to-use and provides enterprise-quality modules for interacting with IoT Solutions."
Intel IoT Gateway Software Suite
"The Intel® IoT Gateway Software Suite is a Wind River Linux* operating system that provides leading performance and security for intelligence at the edge. This software suite enables near-real-time analysis and more efficient process controls."
- Free packages to $500 per unit
"A programming model and micro-kernel style runtime that can be embedded in gateways and small footprint edge devices enabling local, real-time, analytics on the continuous streams of data coming from equipment, vehicles, systems, appliances, devices and sensors of all kinds (for example, Raspberry Pis or smart phones)"
ubiworx IoT Software Framework
"Software framework for embedded systems running Linux. ubiworx enables embedded systems to bridge sensors, actuators and machines with data analytics systems and smart phone applications to form complete IoT Gateways in Internet of Things solutions."
"The platform ingests data directly from equipment sensors without the need for extensive API libraries. A federated architecture supports analytics from control systems to the cloud, allowing the application of analytics to data while in motion."
DIY and Open Source Focused
What are IoT Gateways?
IoT gateways are devices positioned between edge systems and the cloud. They perform functions such as protocol translation, data processing/storage/filtering, and device security. Modern IoT gateways also play an increasingly import role in helping to provide edge analytics so that only the most important information and alerts are sent up to the cloud to be acted upon.
- KD Nuggets - Ajit Jaokar: IoT Edge Analytics (10/2016)
- Techcrunch - Ben Dickson: How fog computing pushes IoT intelligence to the edge (6/2016)
- Embedded - Bernard Cole: Embedded SBCs face uphill battle in IoT gateway market (6/2016)
- Dat Center Knowledge - Rick Stevenson: Fog Computing for Internet of Things Needs Smarter Gateways (4/2016)
- EET Asia: Designing customised intelligent IoT gateway (2/2016)
- Embedded - Warren Kurisu: What's an Intelligent Gateway anyway? (12/2015)
- Semiconductor Engineering: Intelligent Autonomous IoT (12/2015)
- Datanami: The Data of Things: How Edge Analytics and IoT Go Hand In Hand (9/2015)
- 451 Research: Why IoT is driving analytics to the edge of the network (11/2015)
- RTInsights: Fog Computing: a New IoT Architecture?
Academic / Technical Articles:
- The Internet of Things Has a Gateway Problem (PDF 2/12015)
- Fog Computing and Smart Gateway Based Communication for Cloud of Things (PDF 2014)
- 451 Research: The Data Management of Things (9/2015 - Subscription)
- ABI Research: Edge Analytics in IoT (4/2015)
- Cisco: Fog Computing and the Internet of Things (2015 - PDF)
- VDC Research: The Global Market for M2M & Intelligent Gateways (10/2014)
- Global market for gateway devices is expected to reach $900M in 2019, up from $500M in 2014, a 12.9% CAGR.