IoT Cloud Platform Landscape
Find and compare IoT Cloud Platform providers. Quickly narrow your choices based on your feature requirements, vertical market focus and vendor hardware integrations.
Developing for the Internet of Things is a complex endeavor, and nobody wants to do it from scratch. IoT data platforms offer a jumping-off point by combining many of the tools needed to manage a deployment from device management to data prediction and insights into one service.
Providers of platforms include pure-play 3rd party platforms, hardware vendors, connectivity providers, and system integrators.
The following Channel Guide will help you:
- Help narrow down your platform requirements (end-to-end, open source, etc)
- Filter based on feature sets, API, architecture, apps and pricing.
- Comparisons based on platform focus (analytics, mobile, device integrations)
A closer look at an innovative platform in the IoT Platform market
DG Solution Builder
DG Solution Builder is a no-code application development platform featuring a graphical data-driven toolbox to rapidly build visually rich, interactive web applications and dashboards.
- Leverage all your data sources within a single, unified development environment
- OEM Integration
- Built-in dataflow engine allows you to build out how data and control requirements best work for your application.
IoT Cloud Platform solutions backed by large publicly traded companies.
- Our end-to-end ecosystem strategy means you don’t have to develop your own modules, network stack, or cloud on-boarding
- Java/Android, ObjC (iOS and Mac), Python, Ruby and more SDKs.
- REST/HTTP, websockets, MQTT, and CoAP support
- Runs on cloud infrastructure as a white-label subscription service.
- Customers have managed up to 500,000 assets and 100,000 device messages per second
- M2M/IoT protocol and data format adapters: CoAP, UDP, HTTP, Modbus, XMPP, DDS, MQTT and Vendor-Specific M2M Technologies
- Supports HTTP, WebSockets, and MQTT
- Rules Engine can route messages to AWS endpoints including AWS Lambda, Amazon Kinesis, Amazon S3, Amazon Machine Learning, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon CloudWatch, and Amazon Elasticsearch Service with built-in Kibana integration
- Create a persistent, virtual version, or “shadow,” of each device that includes the device’s latest state
- Supports over 60 regulatory frameworks worldwide.
- Predix Services
- Based on Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Take advantage of Google’s heritage of web-scale processing, analytics, and machine intelligence.
- Utilizes Google's global fiber network (70 points of presence across 33 countries) for ultra-low latency
- Easily integrate Azure IoT Suite with your systems and applications, including Salesforce, SAP, Oracle Database, and Microsoft Dynamics
- Azure IoT Suite packages together Azure IoT services with preconfigured solutions.
- Supports HTTP, Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP), and MQ Telemetry Transport (MQTT).
- Gateway SDK
- Machine Learning - Automate data processing and rank data based on learned priorities.
- Raspberry Pi Support - Develop IoT apps that leverage Raspberry Pi, cognitive capabilities and APIs
- Real-Time Insights - Contextualize and analyze real-time IoT data
- Coldlight - IoT Analytics
- Augmented Reality Integration (Vuforia Studio Enterprise)
- Edge Microserver & "Always On"SDK
- Connect data from every device, sensor, website, and interaction with Salesforce to get a more complete view of your customers.
- AppExchange Products
- Built on scalable event processing engine (Thunder), designed to ingest and analyze billions of connected events
- The messaging broker supports connections using native MQTT and WebSockets MQTT.
- Xively provides a C client library for use on devices
- Xively provides an application for integrating connected products into the Salesforce Service Cloud.
- ARM mbed OS IoT Starter Kit
- Zatar offers an open Application API for creating custom applications, a Device API for connecting smarter devices and a portfolio of IoT applications for implementing IoT solutions.
Data management services with open source licenses
- Open Source
- Hardware Integrations
- Licensed under Apache Software License 2.0
- Horizontally scalable - can handle millions of devices
- Open Source
- Runs on Embedded Linux devices with as little as 32 MB of RAM
- CPAL 1.0 open source license
- Connect devices with MQTT, AMQP, Stomp, and other protocols
- Integrates with Azure EventHub
Popular maker friendly platforms with integration with Arduino, Raspi and other DIY hardware platforms
- Wide range of compatible hardware
- Make it smart using our SDK; Java scripting power at your fingertips with Groovy
- Create listeners, rules and trigger actions
- Works with wide range of languages, devices and other online services like Arduino, Particle and AWS Lambda
- Free two week trial with pricing starting at $30/Month for individuals and $130 for Businesses.
- Drag-and-drop reaction editor and data visualizations
- Wide range of supported Hardware
- Losant provides open source SDKs for Arduino and Node.js
- Operator of Cayenne - The world's first drag-and-drop project builder developed to quickly design and prototype projects
- Quickly connect your Raspberry Pi with our mobile app and manage your IoT projects
- Endpoint agents and the Web clients are abstracted with myDevices’ cloud server
- Work with any programming language, embedded device, sensor, actuator, and cloud service to retrofit existing equipment, build new infrastructure, or explore new business opportunities.
- 10 Different SDKs
- A line of pre-built applications including for Gas leak and soil quality monitoring
Overview of IoT platforms designed from the ground up based on supplied hardware
- Products combine plug-and-play sensors, wireless connectivity, and rich cloud-hosted software
- Includes end-to-end solutions for Fleet tracking, and Industrial IoT applications like remote monitoring for Cold Chain and Condition.
- Wide range of Gateway types, environmental monitoring sensors and camera modules all tied into cloud service and dashboards
Comparison of providers where connectivity is the primary entry point to data management platform
Provider List Comparison
A directory list of platform providers based on feature sets, hardware/language support, etc
Common IoT Platform Features
|Edge||System Management & Connections||Insights & Actions|
|Device / User Management||Cloud Connectors||Dashboards / Visualizations / Apps|
|Roles & Permissioning||Event Logic / Alerts||Application Builders|
|Local Cloud Gateway||Subscriptions / Billing||Data Marketplaces|
|Libraries Adapters / SDKs||APIs||Turn-key Vertical Applications|
|Security & Access Controls||OTA firmware and software updates||Predictive / Prescriptive Analytics|
|Identity Management||Storage / App Hosting||Voice Interface / AR / MR / VR Integrations|
In-depth Technical Comparisons
- Azure IoT Vs AWS IOT | Paolo Patierno | 2/5/2016
- Azure IoT vs AWS IoT (form submission required) | VDC Research | 3/2016
Making a decision:
- What to Look for in an Industrial Internet of Things Cloud Platform - Engineering.com 12/2016
- Choosing an IoT System? Ask These 8 Questions to Platform Providers - ElectronicDesign 9/2016
- The CIO Checklist For Choosing The Right Enterprise IoT Platform - Forbes 4/2016
- Top 4 considerations for choosing an iot platform-enabled solution - Fastream 11/2015
Paid Research and Market Reports (IoT Market Reports)
- Machnation Platform Overview Summary (PDF) | 5/2016
- IoT-Analytics Platform Report | 1/2016
- Parks Associates Platform Report | 1Q 2016
- Gartner IoT Platform Market Guide | 7/2015
- Berg Insight Platform Report Overview (PDF)
- Markets and Markets IoT Platform Report | 11/2015
- First Analysis overview (PDF) | 9/2/2015
- Machina IoT Platforms Reports
Major Acquisitions in Platform Space
Acquired Company / Purchaser | Date | Amount
- Plat.One / SAP | 9/28/2016 | N/A
- Jasper / Cisco | 3/26/2016 | $1.4B
- Solair / Microsoft | 5/3/2016 | N/A
- PrismTech / Adlink | 12/14/2015 | N/A (Raised $2.32M)
- Parstream / Cisco | 11/26/2015 | N/A (Raised $13.6M)
- B+B SmartWorx / Advantech | 11/16/2015 | $99.85M
- Etherios (Digi) / West Monroe Partners | 10/26/2015 | $9M
- SeeControl / Autodesk | 8/27/2015 | N/A (Raised $5.12M)
- Mformation / Alcatel-Lucent | 9/18/215 | N/A (Raised $40.13M)
- 2lemetry / Amazon | 3/2015 | N/A (Raised $4M)
- ProSyst / Bosch | 2/16/2015 | N/A
- Thingworx / PTC | 12/30/2013 | $112M
- ILS / Telit | 9/12/2013 $8.5M
- Sensinode / ARM | 8/27/2013 | N/A (Raised $1.37M)
- SensorLogic / Gemalto | 12/20/2011 | N/A (Raised $30M)
- Pachube (Now Xively) / Logmein | 7/20/2011 | N/A
View Complete list of IoT acquisitions here.