IoT DIY Projects Handbook
Discover innovative DIY IoT projects - Project ideas, tutorials and kits for beginners and experts alike
The following Channel Guide will help you:
- Provide project ideas and glimpses into ways others are using connectivity in their latest projects.
- Filter based on platform type: Arduino, Raspi and other available options.
- Get details on how to manage and control your project using smartphone apps.
Quickly connect and control your Raspberry Pi from a mobile app - add rules and triggers on top of sensors
- Drag-and-drop project builder for Raspberry Pi
- Remote configure GPIO from a mobile app or dashboard
- Customize your phone or online dashboard with drag and drop widgets
Looking for some step-by-step instructions and code samples? The following projects will walk you through their development.
IoT DIY Home
Weather / Garden
- ESP8266 WeatherStation with IFTTT and HomeKit support | Aditya Tannu | 1/1/2016
- Instructable: Easy IoT weather station with multiple sensors (NodeMCU) | Ingenerare
- Hackster: AWS IoT Remote Soil Moisture Monitor | Nathan Heskew } 2/2/2016
Instructable: DIY Moisture Sensor With Intel Galileo by charlesm29
IoT DIY Buttons
Use these projects to tie the physical button to online services and connected product actions.
- Familab: Hacking the Amazon Dash Button to Make a Simple, Cheap, IoT | David Sikes | 2/1/2016
- Hackster: ESP8266 IFTTT Easy Button | Noel Portugal | 8/17/2015
- Simpleiothings: $10 DIY Wifi Smart Button (ESP8266)
- IoT Button using an Adafruit Huzzah or Sparkfun Thing, a push button and the IFTTT Maker Channel | Garth Vander Houwen
- Open Source Thermostat (Particle)
- Element14: IoT Alarm Clock | Frederick Vandenbosch | 5/82014
- Helian Systems: ESP8266 IoT Toothbrush
- Particle Projects
- Electric Imp Projects
- UDOO Hackster Projects
- BeagleBoard Hackster Projects
- Arduino IoT Project Hub
Cloud Platform Specific
- PubNub IoT Project Tutorials
- Carriots Projects
- AWS Hackster Projects
- Microsoft IoT Hackster Projects
- Ubidots Hackster Projects
- Intel IoT Instructables Page
- InitialState IoT DIY Projects
- Temboo IoT Applications
- SmartLiving Hackster Projects
- IFTTT Projects
- ThingSpeak Hackster Projects
From apps to connect your Arduino or Raspi to cloud platforms to manage their streaming data.
Create and rapid prototype Internet of Things products with Cayenne, an IoT project builder for developers and makers to quickly create their...
Apps for iOs and Android to connect Arduino, Raspberry Pi and similar hardware. Build a beautiful drag-and-drop user interface for your project...
The Open Data Platform for the Internet of Things - Connect sensors to the web - Connect the web to things
Wyliodrin is a service that allows programming and controlling development boards directly from a browser.
data.sparkfun.com is a free, robust service for use with all of your projects. The underlying engine is open source so if you don't want to use...
Kits & Products
Looking for something a little more ready-made? These kits and plug and play sensor products will get you running quickly.
SAM Labs' wireless blocks and drag-and-drop app allow anyone to learn the basics of programming and become an instant inventor. Shop our range of...
Open-source tools for energy monitoring and analysis
OpenSprinkler Pi is an extension board for Raspberry Pi (RPi) 1 Model A+ / B+ or RPi 2. It allows RPi to directly access and control sprinkler...
"GrovePi is an electronics board that you can connect to hundreds of different sensors, so you can program them to monitor, control, and automate...
Modulo is a set of tiny modular circuit boards that you can assemble to build powerful programmable electronics without needing to design and...
TinyCircuits - Maker of Tiny, Open Source Electronics, Arduino compatible, IoT, TinyDuino, TinyShield, Robotics, hobbyist, arcade, video games
The ThingBox is a set of software already installed and configured. The ThingBox allows anyone to graphically create new unlimited applications...
Tingbot lives in your home or on your desk. It uses your Raspberry Pi to make fun things, get coding or share creative projects.
Books & Websites
Just starting out? Use these books to guide you from beginner projects to advanced IoT projects.
Look to these completed projects to spark your next project idea.
We are on a mission to build a global open crowdsourced Internet of Things data network.
We help grower’s get real-time data about field conditions, so that they may irrigation more efficiently, manage disease risk, and understand...
This website documents the work, ideas and experiments of artist and designer Dominic Wilcox
Learn Product Design and Coding