Guidebook to the tools, software and applications for Internet enabled drones.
Drones acting as sensor devices open up a large number of Internet of Things applications in agriculture, mining operations and industrial inspection services.
Companies & Projects
- UgCS - We create easy-to-use software for mission planning and execution for all types of unmanned vehicles.
- DroneDeploy - "Automate drone flight & explore map data directly from your app."
- AT&T M2X - "AT&T M2X has solutions that can scale to millions of connected devices. Whatever your drones are tasked with, M2X can support all your data and connectivity needs."
- Ocotblu: Use the Octoblu Platform with Drones!
- See our Smart Farming Channel for more details on drone mapping and planting
Smartwatch drone control
A trio of Sony engineers (Peter Bartos, Alexander Najafi and Jonas Hellström) recently demonstrated this phenomena with their mashup project for controlling a quadcopter drone with a smartwatch and some prototype eyewear.
Drawing on the accelerometer in the SmartWatch 2, the drone’s movement is controlled by the tilt and twist of the wearer’s wrist. The SmartEyeglass prototype displays flight data and can even show images from the drone’s camera.
See it in action in the video below.
- Economist: An internet of airborne things - 1/2012
- Wired: Will Internet Access Via Drones Ever Fly?
- sUAS News: Why Drones Are the Future of the Internet of Things - Colin Snow 1/12/ 2014
- LightReading: Drones Hover Over the IoT Sector - 10/23/2014
- NetworkWorld: Drones are part of the Internet of Things, drone maker says - 9/25/2015
- RTInsights: What’s Up with the IoT and Drones? - David Linthicum
- PTC - Drones IoT's Killer App for Commerce?
- CIO: Farmers Insurance eyes drones, Internet of Things - 1/4/2016
- Symmetry Electronics: Drones and the IoT: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. - 3/28/2016
- Why Drones are the Future of IoT - Skylogic Research - 11/2014