We're connecting all the things
Sapphire OS is a new wireless development platform created and manufactured by a team out of Austin,Texas.
The Sapphire platform is 100% open source (hardware schematics and layouts under a CC license) and combines "flexible low cost hardware, a lightweight but powerful embedded operating system, and network connectivity tools to help you connect anything to everything."
Breaking the individual components down a little bit the system features:
Blue Sapphire hardware:
- ATMega128RFA1 combined microcontroller with a built-in 2.4 GHz radio
- 8 digital inputs/outputs and 8 analog inputs
- Launching with 3 development add-on shields (Ethernet, Multiboard (LED, temp, light, button), and Protoboard)
- Can create a mesh network.
- Connect with Python, REST, or with your own API.
- Automatic Sapphire device discovery.
- Time synchronization and AES security built-in.
- "Sapphire comes with a variety of Python based connectivity tools which connect the key-value system to an extensible central message bus. The device server connects your hardware to the bus. The Automaton helps you script interactions between anything connected to the bus. A RESTful API server provides a convenient interface for web applications."
More details about the platform can be found at: Sapphireos.com or by watching the team's product pitch in the video embedded below.
Additional: Kickstarter page, Github
Related: Spark Devices, IoT Development hardware
Featured in Channel:
IoT Cloud Platform Landscape
A spotlight on the products and companiesView