IoT Sensors and Actuators
Explore IoT smart sensor and actuator solution providers. Compare types and technical requirements and protocols across market industries.
Arduino / DIY sensors
Looking for some plug and play sensor platforms? Or some easy to use standalone sensors and actuators?
Raspberry Pi Smart Sensor Kits
- SunFounder - 37 Module Kit $96
Projects / Organizations
- Public Lab
"A community where you can learn how to investigate environmental concerns. Using inexpensive DIY techniques, we seek to change how people see the world in environmental, social, and political terms."
DIY Smart Sensor Projects
- Instructable: Easy IoT weather station with multiple sensors | Ingenerare
IoT Sensor Manufacturers
MEMSIC (Acquired by IDG) designs, manufactures and markets CMOS MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) IC products that have on-chip mixed signal...
Monnit sells wireless gateways, sensors, starter kits, software, and controllers.
TE Connectivity designs and manufactures connectivity and sensor products.
STMicroelectronics N.V. designs, develops, manufactures, and markets semiconductor integrated circuits and discrete devices.
NXP Semiconductors (Acquired by Qualcomm) provides high performance mixed signal and standard product solutions for radio frequency (RF), analog,...
Texas Instruments Incorporated designs, manufactures, and sells processors, MCUs, power management circuits, and sensors.
Dialog Semiconductor develops mixed signal integrated circuits for mobile, tablet, IoT and solid state lighting applications.
Construction / Buildings
- Smart Structures: Concrete bridge and foundation sensors
- SMARTEC: Structural health monitoring sensors
- SENSR: Structural health
Smart Data Centers / Server Monitoring
Smart Label Sensors
IoT Sensor Data Platforms
SensorUp connects sensor networks to enable a deeper understanding of disparate sensor data.
IntelliSense.io provides a cloud platform for the natural resources industries with a focus on mining operations.
Ayla Networks provides cloud platform for major hardware and application vendors.
Sensor List and Protocols
- OGC SensorThings API is an OGC standard specification for providing an open and unified way to interconnect IoT devices, data, and applications over the Web.
- XEP-0323: Internet of Things - Sensor Data: Sensor data interchange over XMPP networks
- IETF: SenML Media Types for Sensor Markup Language
Market Size / Business
- IHS Technology: High-Value MEMS Report - 2015
for the Internet of Things Businesses & Market Trends 2014 - 2024 (PDF)
Moti is a new platform for easily building things that move. It consists of smart motors that are accessible from a web browser. There, you can...
- The Internet of Things and Sensors and Actuators by Vint Cerf at LISA '12, the 26th Large Installation System Administration Conference
- ARM: Sensors to Servers: An end-to-end IoT Demonstration | 9/5/2015
- The future of MEMS in the IoT | Pete Singer | SolidState Technology 09/2015
The Role of Sensor Fusion in the Internet of Things | Kaivan Karimi
- ECN: Sensor Fusion: Making Sense Of The Real World For IoT Applications | Paul Pickering | 02/19/2016
- Synthetic Sensors
"exploring the notion of general-purpose sensing, where a single highly capable sensor can indirectly monitor a large context without direct instrumentation of objects."